UK banks hold sufficient capital to cope with no-Brexit and Trump trade war, BoE says 

Hitachi commences sale of $5.6 billion chemical unit 

Cybersecurity firm McAfee’s IPO could raise at least $1 billion: Reports 

Hitec Vision, Oman’s Petrogras to acquire Total’s British North Sea oilfields for $635 million

TOP STORIES

South Africa’s health insurance bill aims to reduce costs

South Africa NHI bill

The tax levied from citizens might be increased to fund the NHI bill under deliberation in parliament

South Africa’s NHI bill has been forwarded to the Parliamentary Committee for thorough discussion. The bill aims at providing comprehensive health care to all South African citizens.

Under the new medical plan, the government aims to make health care a less expensive procedure to all of its citizens.

According to reports, the implementation of South Africa NHI bill would lead to increase in the tax levied from the people, as it requires funding.

There have been critics opposing the NHI bill due to the increased tax payment. People opposing the bill states that the NHI tax will put more pressure on the citizens who are already suffering due to the economic crisis.

“The DA is convinced that instead of being a vehicle to provide quality healthcare for all, this bill will nationalise healthcare and be an additional tax burden to already financially stretched South Africans,” said Siviwe Gwarube, the DA’s shadow health minister.

There have been no exact estimates about the fund required for the scheme every year.

A survey revealed that the amount spent for catering to the needs of the privileged 16 percent who have medical aid and the rest 84 percent who do not, is almost the same.

Health department Director Anban Pillay reported that according to National Treasury estimates, to implement NHI by 2022, the taxpayers would have to pay R256 billion, which the government is trying to reduce to R150 billion eventually.

There have also been criticisms that the implementation of the bill will curb any chance of economic growth in the country and reduce wages or even eliminate jobs altogether. The projected growth rate for South Africa in 2019 is 0.6 percent.

South African currency rand has touched a 11 month low on Wednesday and the unemployment rate is at its peak.

Health Minister Zweli Mkhize stated that the bill covers a wide range of people which incl

Leave a Comment