UK banks hold sufficient capital to cope with no-Brexit and Trump trade war, BoE says 

Hitachi commences sale of $5.6 billion chemical unit 

Cybersecurity firm McAfee’s IPO could raise at least $1 billion: Reports 

Hitec Vision, Oman’s Petrogras to acquire Total’s British North Sea oilfields for $635 million

TOP STORIES

Malaysia Airlines’ MRO business to reach RM30 million by 2020 end

Malaysia Airlines MRO

The MRO facility services 70% of Malaysia Airlines’ aircraft and the 30% of its services are allocated to third parties

Malaysia Airlines’ maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) unit is positive of becoming the third largest revenue contributor to Malaysia Aviation Group by 2025. Malaysia Airlines’ MRO business is expected to reach  RM30 million by 2020 end from the current RM3 million contribution. The estimated figure is tenfold of its current contribution to Malaysia Aviation. 

Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Luqman Mohd Azmi told the New Straits Times that, “We have just started on this new third-party MRO business in the third-quarter (Q3) this year and it has been encouraging to have secured and performed work for major airlines in Malaysia, Singapore and Sri Lanka. Both hangars have six lines (aircraft parking). However, there are plans to expand the hangar capacity by extending more lines as we anticipate more demand.” 

MRO’s work comprises several airframe checks, parts replacements, interior cabin maintenance, extensive repairs and work on  non-destructive testing (NDT) support, the reports said. 

Currently, there are more than 2,000 staff comprising engineers and technicians employed for the MRO facility. The MRO facility services 70 percent of Malaysia Airlines’ aircraft and the remaining 30 percent for third parties. 

Malaysia Airlines’ MRO facility is certified by the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia and various foreign civil aviation authorities of Singapore, Sri Lanka, the European Union and the US. 

The MRO facility is aimed at ensuring quality services at competitive pricing to reduce aircraft turnaround time. 

Last month, Malaysia Airlines and Japan Airlines signed a deal to launch a joint business framework in 2020. Under the terms of the deal, both carriers will establish commercial cooperation for flights between the two countries. This in turn is expected to increase their customer base and enhance the flying experience for mutual customers. 

Leave a Comment