AviationTop Stories
Indigo Partners Wizz Air_GBO_Image

Indigo Partners sells 9% stake in Wizz Air for $550 mn

American equity firm Indigo Partners is one of the largest shareholders in the carrier

US-based equity firm Indigo Partners, which is one of the largest shareholders in Hungary-based low-cost carrier Wizz Air, has sold 9 percent of its stake in the company in a deal worth $550 million, media reports said. Indigo Partners sold around 7.69 million shares of Wizz Air as a part of the deal.

Indigo Partners has been an investor in the Hungarian carrier since 2004. Previously, Indigo Partners owned nearly 20.6 percent of Wizz Air. However, it sold shares worth $650 million at the beginning of February this year, in addition to 10 million shares back in 2017.

Wizz Air Abu Dhabi received its first new state-of-the-art Airbus A321neo aircraft last year. The aircraft arrived at the Abu Dhabi International Airport. Wizz Air Abu Dhabi is a joint venture between the Hungarian low-cost airline Wizz Air and Abu Dhabi state holding company ADQ. While Wizz Air owns 49 percent of the new airline, ADQ owns the remaining 51 percent. The carrier received national carrier status only recently.

Kees Van Schaick, Managing Director of Wizz Air Abu Dhabi, told the media, “Today is another great landmark to celebrate. With the arrival of our first aircraft to Abu Dhabi we have made an important step on our journey towards starting our operations and developing our presence in Abu Dhabi. We contribute to the local economic diversity while offering ever more affordable travel opportunities on our low-fare network. Wizz Air Abu Dhabi’s new state-of-the-art Airbus A321neo aircraft, as well as our enhanced protective measures, will ensure the best possible sanitary conditions for travellers.”

Related posts

Saudi Vision 2030: Kingdom aims of becoming a global powerhouse in less than a decade

GBO Correspondent

OPEC+ decides against increasing oil production

GBO Correspondent

Nigeria’s AGPC raises $260 mn for gas processing plant project

GBO Correspondent