UK banks hold sufficient capital to cope with no-Brexit and Trump trade war, BoE says 

Hitachi commences sale of $5.6 billion chemical unit 

Cybersecurity firm McAfee’s IPO could raise at least $1 billion: Reports 

Hitec Vision, Oman’s Petrogras to acquire Total’s British North Sea oilfields for $635 million

TOP STORIES

Abu Dhabi to launch world’s largest reverse osmosis desalination plant

Abu Dhabi desalination plant

Located at the Taweelah power and water desalination complex in Abu Dhabi, the project is expected to be operational by 2022

Abu Dhabi’s Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EMEC) along with ACWA Power have announced the world’s largest reverse osmosis desalination plant.

The desalination plant in Abu Dhabi is estimated to cost Dh3.19 billion. While a portion of the fund will be accumulated from equity contributions from shareholders and operating cash flow, around Dh2.71 billion will be sourced from a combination of senior project finance loans.

According to media reports, the desalination plant in Abu Dhabi will supply 909,200 cubic metres of water per day, 44 percent more than the world’s current largest reverse osmosis plant of 624,000 cubic metres of water per day. The project will fulfil the water demand of 350,000 households.

The desalination plant will be developed at the Taweelah power and water desalination complex in Abu Dhabi and is expected to be completed by 2022.

While ACWA Power holds a 40 percent equity interest in the Taweelah power and water desalination complex, a partnership between Abu Dhabi Power Corporation and Mubadala Investment Company holds the remaining 60 percent equity interest.

With regard to the project, Othman Al Ali, CEO of Emirates Water and Electricity Company told the local media, “We are delighted to announce that our financial targets have been met and that this new initiative can now get underway. This financial structure is testament to the world-class quality of the plant, which will pave the way for future developments that will contribute to a more efficient and sustainable water and energy sector in the country. “

He added, “This reverse osmosis desalination plant supports the UAE’s vision in reducing carbon dioxide emissions, while significantly reducing gas consumption by decoupling power and water production for the winter and summer seasons.”

Leave a Comment